Personal news: after 10 years and a million words or two, I'm stepping down as an editor @PlacesJournal. Truly a dream job, working alongside the wonderful, perceptive Nancy Levinson, Deborah Lilley, and Frances Richard — as strong a team as you’ll find anywhere.
On my last day, I want to highlight a few Places articles that have influenced my thinking about landscape and cities as we confront climate change. Put these on your syllabi and IN YOUR POLICY.
- @lizzieyarina, who shows so clearly that climate adaptation is social and political. There is no resilience without climate justice. https://placesjournal.org/article/your-sea-wall-wont-save-you/
- @samkbloch, who tells the story of shade inequality and asks us how we can recode the city's infrastructures and affordances for all. https://placesjournal.org/article/shade-an-urban-design-mandate/
- @freeassocdesign, who reminds us that landscape designers are working within overriding conditions of change and flux. https://placesjournal.org/article/landscape-migration/
- @stacciatella, who shows that this work can involve other species. https://placesjournal.org/article/landscape-with-beavers/
- @joobilly, who calls us all to the movement and challenges us to think about the scale of our impact. https://placesjournal.org/article/design-and-the-green-new-deal/
Much love and gratitude to all the writers I’ve worked with.
Especially to the one I’ve worked with longest and most often: @shannonmattern, a brilliant and generous scholar of the infrastructures which shape how we see urban systems and ecologies. (Look for Shannon's book, A City Is Not a Computer, next year.) https://placesjournal.org/author/shannon-mattern/
Next for me: making space to work on some big writing projects and hang with (teach/learn from) my kids. I’ll be an editor-at-large for Places and available for freelance work.
Meanwhile, if you need an hour or two of editing, I will trade my time if you donate to a bail fund or anti-racist org (or are doing that work yourself). I can handle about 10 of these requests a month. DMs open.
What you are and what you wanna be / Takes a long, long, long, long time