Today’s video-summit of the leaders of the Eurasian Economic Union unveiled discrepancies and avoided concrete discussions about solidarity/recovery measures to mitigate the effects of Covid-19. (THREAD 1/5)
1. The 5 leaders of the Eurasian Union, joined by observer state (Moldova), discussed the 2025 Eurasian Economic Integration Development Strategy. Putin openly objected against Belarus-Armenia request of “unit price for gas transit” for all EEU states. https://www.aa.com.tr/en/economy/russia-disputes-with-armenia-belarus-on-gas-prices/1846465
2. Russia’s leader pointed out that the Eurasian integration is insufficiently deep to liberalize “the price for gas transit”. If no consensus is achievable, then Putin advised to adopt the 2025 strategy and eliminate the whole proposal on gas market. http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/63367
3. Unwilling to give up from its leverage on gas pricing, Putin postponed the political bargaining by appointing the Eurasian Commission to find solutions at the technical level. Using this occasion, Putin advocated for “strengthening the role of the [Eurasian] Commission”.
4. The Covid-19 was secondary in Putin’s discourse, as Russia and other members are confronting raise of outbreak - Belarus and Armenia. Even in such worsening situation, the Eurasian leaders didn’t come up with new proposals of solidarity/recovery measures.
5. Russia seems overwhelmed by the health crisis. It has no political appetite, nor economic resources to offer something to its junior partners. Besides, as I tell in this article, the Eurasian Union lacks institutional strength and financial autonomy. https://www.ipn.md/en/the-eurasian-union-and-the-health-crisis-lacking-integration-and-7978_1073285.html
The Eurasian Union and the health crisis: lacking integration and geopolitical ambitions, Op-Ed
Op-Ed TEXT... Dionis Cenuşa, Senior Contributor Conținut Dionis Cenuşa, Senior ContributorDionis Cenușa...https://www.ipn.md/en/the-eurasian-union-and-the-health-crisis-lacking-integration-and-7978_1073285.html